Sunday, December 26, 2004

At The End Of All Things

December 26, 2004 - Sunday

At the End of All Things

"Glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee...here at the end of all things."

First: if you haven't had the pleasure of seeing the extended DVD version of the Return of the King, and are a fan of the books (or the movies, or both) - please please do. It isn't so much that deleted scenes were added; the movie feels entirely new. 50 minutes of uncut footage were added, and all of was SOOOO important to the storyline.

Back to my point. There's a scene where, towards the end, Frodo and Sam are sitting on a rock surrounded by molten lava, certain of their own deaths. That's when Frodo gives the line I quoted above.

It gave me pause. At the end of all things, at that moment when everything you know is about to end - who would you want to spend that moment with?

I won't bother answering for myself; I can count the possibile people on one hand and still have room left over. I love my friends and family dearly, I do - but if the world were to end and I could only spend those final moments with one person, a list of hundreds narrows considerably. With the New Year coming, it makes for an interesting question to reflect on.

So who would you hope to spend your final moments of eternity with?

No comments: