Thursday, February 02, 2006

What, Me Worry?

My company, in a flash of generosity, handed out emergency kits about two years ago (after the blackout we had here in New York). The usual; a sippycup of water, foil blanket, mini flashlight, first aid. Nice gesture.

Today we got a memo to "please check your emergency kits" and make certain everything's working properly, and that you have comfortable walking shoes stored away under your desk.

Now I'm a little concerned. When your company starts saying things like "oh by the way...you've got that first aid kit handy, right? Okay good"...it doesn't put me in a happy happy joy joy frame of mind.

Do they know something I don't? Is there another orange alert and they're just not telling me? I mean hell, I'm about to head home here...do I need to watch out for the guy in the long trenchcoat? If I hear the squeal of tires, should I turn and look for the truck or should I just haul ass in any direction away from the noise? Should I keep finding reasons to walk down to the lower floors during working hours, just to make sure I'm not one of those people taking a dive into the concrete pool on the evening news?

Paranoid? Maybe. But it's the paranoid ones that're getting interviewed the next day, while the ones who said "oh it doesn't mean anything" are the ones getting their pictures posted up on lampposts in Union Square.

I'm cold. But I ain't stupid.

No comments: