Friday, September 22, 2006

I'm Black, Of Course I Work Here

Toys R Us, today, roughly 2pm. Times Square "Megastore". I'm buying a gift for Goddaughter #2, whose birthday is this weekend. I'm wearing a black suit, black shoes, wire-framed silver glasses, and a purple shirt with black pinstripes. No tie. Corporate Chic.

She's 1, so I'm in the toddler-preschool section, looking at a Giggling Curious George.

Doofus #1: "Excuse me, where do you keep the..."
Me: "I really have no idea."
Doofus #1: "Oh, you mean you're shopping here like the rest of us?"

I wasn't feeling Georgie, so I moved on to the Disney stuff, different aisle.

Doofus #2: "You look like you work here, where are the..."
Me: "No, I'm sorry, I don't work here."
Doofus #2: "Really? You look like you do."

Say it loud. I'm black and I'm proud.

But sometimes, this shit just pisses me off.

No comments: