Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ocean Living

So I'm thinking of buying a boat.

No, not a raft or a dinghy. A boat. It's been hovering in the back of my mind for a while now, but lately it's been coming more and more to the forefront. See, I'm not just thinking of buying some recreational craft.

I'm thinking of buying a houseboat. Specifically a 50' Catamaran Cruiser, a powered catamaran with full living facilities. There's something incredibly appealing about moving off land, onto the water. Never mind that I'll still be near land, since I'll be berthed at a marina.

It's...hmm. I'm not one to buy a house, dig in those roots, plant myself. I hate feeling land-locked, stuck in one place. Even if I have a family, I'd still want the feeling that I could pack up and move tomorrow if I wanted to, no matter how impractical. Buying a home seems to imply, "this is where I want to die". That's how I feel, I'm not saying others do.

A houseboat is my escape from that. It combines the freedom of being able to move where I want to (even if it takes me forever to get there, with the limited 150hp yamaha outboard engine) with owning your own home, that sense of accomplishment.

Of course, it's still out of range for me currently. I just can't afford the $25k I'd need to put down on it. Yet.

But it's a goal. And it's nice to have something to reach for, isn't it?

No comments: