Friday, June 03, 2005

You Do The Math

I should stop picking on McDonalds, really. But they're such an easy target.

I'm in McDs tonight, waiting on line for my food (which, incidently, was taking a pretty damned long time for 10:30ish at night). But it's cool, the manager knew it was taking a while so he was being apologetic about it. No beef here (no pun intended).

So I'm bored, and start reading the menu. I note the dessert menu, and something seriously looks out of kilter. So they're offering ice cream at $1, and if you buy two it'll only cost you $2. Wow. Great bargain hunting there, thanks for the convenience Ronald. But that ain't it, something else is nagging at me.

When I figure it out, I start laughing. The manager is giving me the evil eye, so I call him over. "You prices are screwed up for your value price."

He scrunches up his face. "What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?" he asks. I'm paraphrasing, so shut up.

I point up at the menu. "Look. You're selling your shakes for $1.98 each, right?" He nods, eyeing me warily.

"Okay. And you're offering two shakes for $3.98, right?"

He nods, a little more cautiously now, scratching his head. "Yeah..."

I laugh. "But 1.98 x 2 is $3.96, not $3.98. People have to pay more to buy two shakes together, than if they just bought two shakes separately."

Now I really get the evil eye.

"I never noticed that" he says, walking away to get my food. I made a point of watching him carefully, I didn't want my sandwich coming from the *special* box under the counter.

I guarantee you I'll go back there in two weeks just to see if they changed the price. Bet'cha two cents it'll be same ;)

McDonald's. I'm lovin' it!

No comments: