Saturday, April 08, 2006

Celebrity Lookalikes

Everyone wants to be somebody, don't they? Well, there's a website where apparently you can do just that.

Myheritage.com advertises itself as a genealogy website where you can track your family history, but realistically the only reason I can see to go there is to use the "face recognition demo" they have to see what celebrity you look like.

You'll need a hi-res photo of yourself, preferably a close-up facial shot. I uploaded a 180x180, 70k jpeg headshot of myself to test this, and waited for the results to pop up.

And waited.

And waited.

I got hungry, made a sandwich, watched some television. Still comparing.

Played a few games, shaved. Wrote a biography. Visited some friends on the west coast. Came back...still comparing.

As near as I can figure they have an incredibly slow server; of course, I got a "time out error". Joy. So I start it up again, and wait some more.

It does this little countdown thing, where it shows you that it's filtering your image through its celebrity database of, I believe, starting around 1200 images.

I get down to around 150 before it timed me out. Again.

I'm persistant. Or stubborn, take you pick. But I'm determined to try again, with a different photo. I pick one with an even higher resolution, 437x431. Results? Much faster; the key is high res, folks, so stay away from those cameraphone pix!

The verdict is in. My lookalike?



Rock on, Sam.

No comments: