Thursday, April 27, 2006

Ninten-No Clue

I am such a video console snob.

I stopped buying Nintendo years ago because in my now-adult brain, Nintendo = kiddie games. They've never shaken that image, and with the advent of the DS games like NintenDogs, I don't expect to change my mind anytime soon.

That said, I'm curious to see what they come up with in their latest console system design which they've named: "Wii".

Yep. Wii. Which is pronounced, "We". As if, I suppose, to make you go "Wheee", but I keep finding myself mispronouncing it "Why", as in "why are you even bothering to ask me for money?"

I thought the Game Cube, back when it was just a rumor, had the potential to bring me back to Nintendo. Then I heard the development name: the Dolphin.

Somehow, the name "Dolphin" does not bring up cyber-cool imagery. No self-respecting gamer would stand on line for hours overnight, waiting to be the first one to pick up a game console called a "Dolphin".

And yet, the name "Game Cube" wasn't that much more of an improvement. At the worst it invoked apathy; "oooo, a Cube. Wow." At best? "oooo, a Cube. Wow."

So when I heard that the development name for their latest foray was the Nintendo Revolution, I had hope. The Revolution. Viva la Revolution! I mean, that name had potential! Fight the power, man! Power to the people! I can SEE the campaign, and it gives me goosebumps how incredibly effective it could be.

Instead, we get the Nintendo Wii. "Wii are the world". Michelle Wii. Wii the People. Wiibles Wobble but they Don't Fall Down.

Sorry Nintendo. Looks like Sony's got a lock on my cash once again.

No comments: