Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Fallen Hero

Fallen Hero
Current mood: nostalgic


Superman has passed away.

I grew up in a time where I had the benefit of seeing reruns of the old George Reeve black and white serials, and seeing Superman come to life in living color in the form of Christopher Reeves. To me, and many like me, he WAS Superman.

The idea of him in that wheelchair...saddened me. That he died while fighting to find a way to come back from a devastating injury that had doctors writing him off, heartened me.

Watching him return to acting, living his life, even - in a somewhat tongue and cheek manner - mentoring the "new" Superman in the Smallville series - gave hope to many.

I'm sad to see him gone, but I'm happy to have seen him, in the end, as a man fighting to reclaim his life - not struggling to endure his existance.

Those of you out there who play the occasional computer game will appreciate a tribute happening in the multiplayer online game, City of Heroes.

Fittingly, I think, for a game based on comic books and superheroes, the players have all agreed to pay tribute to the man in their own special way. The players on the Liberty server have agreed to alter their costumes to all black, with an S logo on their chests.

Our superheroes will wear this tribute for the remainder of the week, to honor a man who epitomized the character he brought to life in the theaters.

Here's to you, Chris. Up, up and away!

No comments: