Friday, October 29, 2004

I'm Not Evil, Really

October 29, 2004 - Friday

I'm not evil. Really.

Had our office Halloween Party the other night. It didn't totally suck. But that's not what we're here to discuss.

Just before the festivities began I ventured down to the file room, to hang with a few buds there before we hit the spookfest. There happens to be one particular woman there who I just generally dislike. We'll call her "D".

D was excited at going to the party, voicing her anticipation of the food there. Yes, D is a bit of a hefty woman and enjoys a good meal.

Enter, moi.

Me: "So...you're going to the Halloween party?"
Her: "Yup!"
Me: "But...you can't."
Her: "Why not?!" (very indignantly)
Me: "Aren't you a Born Again Christian?"
Her: "Yes, so?"
Me: "And don't you point out, every year, how celebrating Halloween is devil worship?"
Her: "But I'm not celebrating Halloween, I'm just going to get some food and leave!"

[If you've ever seen "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", you know exactly how the grin spread across my face at this statement.]

Me: .... (pause for effect)
Me: "Well, if you're going to a Halloween party, and going with people in Halloween costumes, and eating food set out for the party...then you'd be celebrating Halloween. Which, to you, would be devil worship, right? I mean, you can't eat food meant to celebrate the Devil, can you?"
Her: .... (silence)
Me: (shrug) "Oh well, it's up to you. I'm already going to burn in Hell, doesn't matter to me. See you there!"

I did, admittedly, take some personal delight in seeing her grab her coat and leave for home.

But I'm not evil. Really.

No comments: