Monday, May 26, 2008

Food In The Raw

My friends like to make fun of me when we go hiking & overnight camping, because I always seem to bring too much stuff. I start bringing out odd packages & storage containers, and they shake their heads with wonder...at least, they do until dinnertime.

While they're roasting Oscar Meyer weiners or eating cold sandwiches, I'm eating jambalaya over rice, with garlic bread on the side. For breakfast they're gnoshing on cereal bars, I'm scrambling fresh eggs and flipping pancake (true story!)

The keys are: not letting yourself settle, and preparation. I tell everyone - a ziplock freezer bag is your best friend. A little cooking the night before will leave you warm, full and satisfied by the campfire.

I admit I was a bit lazy this time. The Mexican Chicken soup for dinner was canned, but the trick is to take it OUT the can before you go. Empty it into a baggie, put itinside another, and freeze it. Bingo, 1/4 the weight, fits inside your backpack the same - and ready to eat once you pot it over a fire.

My breakfast was also lazier than normal, but it's been a while since i've done a full pack and didn't want to overdo it. I usd simple packs of instant oatmeal, but brought along a little cinnamon and some "crunch" dried fruit. Added to the oatmeal, the fruit rehydrates - and you've got a tasty, fruity breakfast.

I also have these packs of Internatonal Coffee Cafe Mocha instant drinks. Pour into a mug, add hot water.

Because there ain't no Stabucks out here, and a brother needs his java in the morning.

No comments: