Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Three Thumbs Down

Movie reviews crack me up. I pay them absolutely no attention when I'm deciding whether or not to go watch a movie, because I'm convinced that most commercial movie reviewers are talentless, bitter hacks who can't distinguish art from entertainment.

On the other hand...I rely on reviews when I rent from Netflix, if it's a movie I'm uncertain about.

In fact, I often just enjoy reading the reviews; they're a hell of a lot more entertaining, in some cases, than the movie itself.

Take the movie "Active Stealth", which stars Fred Williamson and Daniel Baldwin. Now don't get me wrong, Fred was da man back in the day. This movie, however, was made in 1999. If you've got Fred and Daniel "The Fat One" Baldwin as the stars of your movie...you're on a shoestring budget, and probably headed straight to DVD.

But the reviews...oh lawd, I damn near split a side! These are snippets from the actual viewer reviews of the movie:

It looks like a 8 year directed it. I wish I could give it -5 Stars but this system only allows for Positive Numbers... Puke all over it...

Everybody associated with the creative process including writers, producers, and directors should be taken behind the woodshed and roughed up a bit. Make that roughed up a lot.

Don't waste your time unless you have quite of few cases of cheap alcohol that you need to get rid of.

Terrible acting, and I've seen better shoot-outs in old westerns. The only thing worse than the acting was the casting.

The back of your eye lids would be a huge step up from this movie.

It's still playing and if it hadn't been the only DVD it the house while I tried my new 34" Vega I would have gone to bed.

This is a movie with a bad script, lousy direction, contorted plot, horrible display to details, below par acting, and fight scenes choreographed by the WWF. Save this disk for skeet shooting.
Who needs to watch it, with entertainment this good?

No comments: