Friday, March 17, 2006

C is for Cookie

How is it that the Girl Scouts of America get away with mixing crack in the flour of their cookie dough? Hmm?

Don't tell me there isn't some addictive, crack-like substance in those cookies! Anyone who says that has NEVER had a girl scout cookie. NEH-VAH!

Seriously. Roam around the office with a box of Oreos, see what that does to people. No reaction. Vanilla Wafers? Blah. Chips Ahoy? Snooze central.

But let anyone see that green and white box with the words "Thin Mints" on it, and you'll swear there's a stampeding horde of buffalo heading your way. Say the words "girl scout cookies" and watch everyone within earshot start drooling uncontrollably.

It's the cookies, man! Try this experiment. Take a package of Keebler "Grasshoppers", which are chocolate covered cookies with a slight taste of spearmint, open them up and place them on a table in your company break room. On that same table, take a box of Girl Scout "Thin Mints", open it, and leave it on the same table. Walk away. Come back in an hour.

I'll BET those Keebler cookies are lying on the floor, scattered as the masses searched fruitlessly underneath the package looking for more thin mints. The Girl Scout cookie box? It's torn apart, ripped to shreds with streaks of fluid on the inside that looks suspiciously like saliva.

Still don't believe me? Here's a real life scenario that took place just yesterday. When I was told that my cookies had arrived, I of course felt elated and absolutely had to break out in song. In the office.

With my head bopping from side to side, I sang:
C is for Cookie,
That's good enough for me
C is for Cookie,
That's good enough to eat,
Cookie cookie cookie starts with C!

Yeah, that's right. I sang the Cookie Monster song. This should have gotten me locked away for my own health, and it nearly did. My cellmate, umm, cubicle partner, gave me "the glare" and asked "are you singing the cookie monster song?"

I replied, gleefully. "Yes I am."
Arched eyebrow. "...Why?"
Me, beaming. "Because my girl scout cookies are here!"
Her, eyes wide. "You've got girl scout cookies?"
Two people smiling stupidly.

Suddenly singing the cookie song doesn't seem so weird, does it?

Them cookies got crack. Remember I said that, when you're in detox this summer after your own stash of cookies run out.

And don't THINK you're gettin' any of mine!

No comments: