Sunday, March 19, 2006

Fattening of America

We are way too litigious a society. I personally thought all of those lawsuits against the fast food industry were moronic, and to a point I still do.

But.

Maybe these fast food chains DO have a certain amount of liability. I'm not an enabler, and I have the personal strength to say no to something I don't want. I could also just not walk in the place. But people...come on. It's getting out of hand.

Case in point. I stopped at a KFC today (cuz I'm a Chicken Lover, remember?) to grab a lunch on the go. Simple meal, a 2-piece with 2 sides, cole slaw and potato wedges. Plenty of food. This particular KFC has these new cashier display screens, little 13" flat screens that have additional advertising on them shown next to your price. Okay, no problem - I've learned to ignore this stuff.

The cashier rings up my food, it's $5.36, or something close to that - and then the little display screen talks to me. I get a robotic-yet-friendly feminine voice saying, "...you could add an additional side order to make your order six dollars!" and the screen displays my options of mashed potatoes or baked beans.

I sort of laughed as I handed the girl my money; does this stuff actually work, I wondered? I looked up, and the cashier was looking at me expectantly - waiting for an answer! I was incredulous; I'm supposed to actually answer this machine? "No I don't want more food" I chuckled, shaking my head.

The girl rolled her eyes at me, annoyed. Annoyed! What, does she get commission? Holy crap, what do I want more food for? Do I look emasciated? Have I lost my healthy glow? Did I look starving?

I've noticed McDonalds has made changes themselves. I wanted to place an order for McNuggets. A 6-piece order, medium fries, medium drink. None of this supersized crap for me, I know my limits and I don't plan on gaining 600 pounds this week.

Guess what? No 6-piece anymore. That's right, folks; it's now a 10-piece meal, not a 6-piece. WTF?! Were people complaining that they couldn't get enough chicken? What the hell am I gonna do with 10 pieces, except get a heart attack from the clogged arteries?

This is a problem, folks. It's like my experience with them about a year ago, when I got in an argument with a McDonalds cashier over apple pies. I wanted an apple pie after my meal, and asked for one. "They're two for a dollar sir" she replies.

Well I only wanted one. Thanks, but no thanks - just the one. "But I have to charge you 99 cents for one." Whatever, okay? I just want one apple pie. "But that's such a waste, why would you pay for one when you could have two?"

Why? Because you silly twit, I only want one! I won't eat two, so why give me two? What am I supposed to do with it, carry it around until I get hungry again? I don't care what you do with the 2nd one, if it makes you feel better than you eat it yourself. Or give it away, I could give a flying fuck what you do with the 2nd apple pie - but when you hand me my food, there had better only be one in the bag, thanks.

Holy shit. It's like they're TRYING to make us fat, and we go along with it like sheep or lemmings.

So back to the nuggets. I discovered they have a four-piece on the "value menu". Guess what I ordered? Fuck you, Ronald. I like my arteries.

Where's Nancy Reagan with her "just say no" campaign when you really need her?

No comments: