Monday, March 06, 2006

Run, DMC. Please. Run.

I want to start off by applauding DMC, aka Darryl McDaniels of the legendary rap group Run DMC, for exploring his roots based on his adoption and discovering "who he is". It's a noble effort, it really is.

But.

Bro. Don't sing about it. Please. I just watched his music video exploring his adoption, and all I could think about it was "how much money did they pay Sarah MacLaughlin to be in this?" She literally saves the song, doing a cover of Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" which I'd happily buy separately. It's DMC's vocals that made my ears bleed. (FYI, Sarah did this because she, too, was adopted and wanted to help. Good for you.)

D, you could have gotten someone else to do the vocals while you just appear in the background, maybe doing a line or two. Know your limits, is what I'm saying.

That shit hurt. Not the story; the sound. Ugh.

No comments: