Thursday, April 03, 2008

Taking the Wind from Beneath My Wings

You know...I had this whole joking commentary I was going to make about an article I found that noted how Muslims have now outnumbered Roman Catholics something like 19.2% to 17.4% of the population worldwide. There was even a statement by a Vatican official who commented on how basically Muslims breed like rabbits, while Catholics are more chaste. Okay, he didn't put it exactly like that...but the subtext, people, was there.

Then I started reading the comments on the page and, well...angels cried. I decided that it wasn't the article I was there to comment on...it was the responses TO the article.

America. You people are freaks. Xenophobic, bigoted, close-minded Catholic freaks. And by America, I mean the collective holier-than-thou, Father-forgive-my-sins right-wing ultra-conservative red-state thou-shalt-worship-no-false-idols Catholics as a whole, not individuals who may have a more open mind. So don't flip out on me, cuz I know how self-righteous ya'll can be!

Case in point. Some of the responses to the article are as follows:

"Islam is a vile, evil religion of death, destruction, and hatred."

- Matthew from Chicago


Way to spread that message of peace, love and tolerance there Mike. Because we all know how peaceful *coughCRUSADEScough*, tolerant *coughINQUISITIONcough* and loving *coughSALEMWITCHHUNTScough* the Christian heirarchy has been, historically.

"Ironic, though, there are hundreds of movies shown every year depitcing the Catholic religion (i.e. Ten Commandments, The Robe, King of Kings) and numerous books written about the subject.

But I have yet to see anything on the islamic religion, which is basically a cult. Is it because islam is ashamed of it?"

- Schmetterling from Sacramento


Yes, Schmetter("Sieg Heil")ling. Because the measure of a religion's greatness is how many hollywood films get made about it. Mel Gibson is a holy prophet, apparently. Although you'd think with that logic, Judaism would have kicked Catholism into obscurity, since we all know the Jews own it. Hollywood, that is.

"Islam will grow, islam might spread, untill us brits whip your ass's and send ya all packing which will happen :) watch this space"

- ScottishGirl, Port Glasgow


...I don't even know where to BEGIN to make fun of this one. First: get over your identity crisis, because I'm sooooo sure the blokes in Westminster Circle really consider you a Brit. Second: the Brits couldn't whip their own asses if their heads were on backwards. Ehh, I'm done with this one.

Annnndddd....to show I'm not so biased:

"Muslims proably do not molest the young believers either as a big majority of catholic priests do to their young male church members.In certain countries you would proably be put to death for doing this if you are a muslim."

- Annie, Florida


Now there's an advertising slogan. "Islam: Our priests don't diddle the choirboys."

They get my vote.

No comments: