Monday, April 07, 2008

What's a Brainfart, and Why is it Mobile?

Thanks to the Wide Wide World of Text Messaging, I've discovered that I can add mini-posts to this journal while ON THE GO. A sort of roving reporter, man-on-the-scene, here's what's happening RIGHT THIS MINUTE form of instant journalism. It's exciting, it's new, it'll cure what ails ya.

Okay, maybe not. But the idea that I could be sitting somewhere in Central Park on my lunch hour, watching some poor schmuck chat up a pretty girl while she completely ignores him...and I can not only take a picture of this embarassing scene with my cell phone, but I can SEND IT WITH COMMENTARY TO THIS BLOG! God help us, this is a dangerous weapon to put in the hands of a sarcastic, overly-observant cynic such as myself. The possibilities are endless; I no longer have to think back to what's happened over the course of my day and come up with a snapshot, I can literally give you that snapshot LIVE, FROM NEW YORK, as it happens. No waiting, move to the front of the line, that's right people keep it going keep it going...

Oh. You wanted to know, why brainfart? It goes back to a much earlier post, in another incarnation of this journal. Actually it goes back a little further, to a comment I made on someone else's journal; you see some moron had been heckling her on her posts. The reader in question felt she was obligated to respond to his commentary on her posts, because she chose to put her thoughts up in a public forum. In my defense of her, I said the following:

Here I am, she's saying; this is my pense au jour, my brainfart of the moment. I give it to you as-is, unedited and unapologetic. Read it if you will, or don't. It's therapeutic for me, and if you happen to find some entertainment in it...good for you.

I rather liked that word. Brainfart. Much like the lingering odor of a good cheese, the name has stuck with me - and since these mobile messages are going to be short and to the point ("...I can name that tune in 140 characters or less, Alex..."), they tend to be more like mental farts than any of the drawn out, involved ramblings that you're used to from me. It could have been worse, I could have called them Mobile Ejaculations. "Ooo baby, yeah that's it, that's it, OHHHHHH!"

Mobile blogging. "I've got a smartphone, and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

No comments: