Monday, January 23, 2006

Lights, Camera, Action!

It looks like I'm about to take that plunge into the world of cinema magic.

I just need to learn how to actually film. And produce. Maybe direct, too.

At least I've got a camera.

I won't get into the hows of the acquisition of this camera; it's enough for me to say that there, but for the grace of the gods, go I. I'm always in search of a new medium to tell stories with; writing, programming, art. Now video. And occasionally, just occasionally, the gods see fit to provide me with the tools I need to explore these new mediums.

I know diddly about film, except to know what I like and what I don't. I've watched enough Project Greenlight to know that film production isn't anywhere as easy as every Joe with a vidcam may believe it is, and I want to take this seriously. So, I've started looking into film classes. Just enough to give me an idea of what I need to know, and go from there.

The Learning Annex has a class that interests me (and I may take), but I'm a little apprehensive. The person teaching the class, one Dov S-S Simens (that's how it's spelled, folks), seems to be one of those "them that can't do...teach" types, so I'm concerned. His film credits on IMDB include a "thanks" in the credits on a 1998 film "17 and Under", and a cameo as himself in an industry movie "Fever Pitch" in 2001.

Oh, and if you pass the class you get a "Producer's Diploma", whatever the hell that means. I'm sure it'll open a whole lotta Hollywood doors.

But perhaps I don't give this guy enough credit. He does seem to be a "name" in the film industry, right up there with Michael Moore. Except Michael Moore actually made a few films.

I'm way too cynical NOT to be in this industry.

No comments: