Thursday, January 26, 2006

Power At the Flick of a Wrist

Cheesy-but-cool factor alert.

The United Nations, along with MIT, have developed a $100 hand-cranked laptop, which they hope to distribute among the world's poor schoolchildren.

Hand. Cranked. Laptop. For $100.

Intel, not surprisingly, is somewhat against this project. They believe "the world's poor would not want the $100 "gadget", since it will have a limited range of programs and capabilities."

Lemme tell you something, Intel. *I* want this gadget. It's cheap. It's tacky looking. But fuck man, it's a crankable computer!!!

I want to take this baby, dressed in my bohemian finest, down to the Astor Place Starbucks in the East Village. I want to order my mocha, plop down and start cranking away. And you know what?

I bet - BET - I'll be the most popular guy in the place. Because everyone will want one, just for the novelty of seeing what it can do.

Hell, often all I'm doing is going to sit and write. If this thing has USB capability and a long power life - and depending on just how much cranking I have to do - I'd gladly get this puppy! I'd trick out the casing with paint and decals, and be the belle of the ball, man!

Admit it. You know you want one too.

1 comment:

bisbohemian said...

Hell... ***I*** want one!

Seeing as how my hand has cranking experience from... well... nevermind that... just say it has experience!... I can get this baby going for days!!!