Monday, January 16, 2006

We Have Nada III

I don't know what it is about that Gamefly commercial that cracks me up every single time, but it strikes something in me and I can't help but laugh each time I see it.

If you don't know what I mean, it's the commercial for the rent-by-mail videogame company, a la Netflix. Two people walk into a video store, there are only a few games on the rack. "Watching Paint Dry", names like that. Boring. So the guy goes up to the counter, upset. "You guys never have anything! You've got zip, zilch, nada!"

The sales clerk - off camera, reaches out with a game cartridge and says, very enthusiastically:

"We have Nada 3!"

Funny stuff.

Which sort of reminds me of my local hardware store. It has to be the only store I've been in with shelves full of nothing. I mean, this place is stuffed full in every single nook and cranny; old boxes, cartons, shelves, trays, racks full of stuff. It's a total mom and pop operation.

But every single time I go in there looking for something, they're either out of it, never had it or don't know what I'm talking about.

They're locksmiths, and - I shit you not - I went in there to have copies of my keys made. Know what they told me?

"We have Nada 3!"

Close enough. "Oh, we don't have that kind of key. Or that one."

?!?!

That's some valuable real estate they're taking up. I could have a Starbucks in walking distance, but no - I'm stuck with Zilch. Zip. Nada.

No comments: